Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Best of Me

“Don’t let them get the best of you”

Guilty as charged. Those lost people I was talking about last time…I let them. I let them get the best of me yesterday.

And last night after the dramatics ceased I caught up on some of my favorite blogs and the tension started melting. Until I actually looked at our dog and noticed that he was coated in red Oklahoma mud, dried to his chocolaty coat. Did I want to give D a bath at 11PM last night? Strangely yes.

So off we went. And the mud was washed away, he leaned into the attention of the wash and I stared into his pretty face.

When bath time was over he zoomed around our living room at the speed of light, energized by his lovely oatmeal and vanilla scent. And the baby screamed.

Now normally, I ignore my booger and he goes back to sleep within minutes. By nine months of age I figured it was bout time he figured out how to sleep at night.

But this night I wanted to see him. It’s been too busy lately and Max has been shuffled about from daycare to Granny’s to nursery at church. So I went to him and he snuffled into my chest and conked back out, D at my feet finishing the bath by licking his paws noisily.

As I sat in the darkness of Max’s cool nursery I was reminded of my moment, months ago, when God caught my attention and spoke whispers in my ear. He encouraged me to be thankful for adversity and to allow these challenges to draw me ever closer to Him. And in return He promised to bring me a destiny greater than I could even imagine. Reminded of that moment I reflected on the insanity of my day. And that is when I realized. I had allowed the lost to get the very best of me. The best of my passion, fervor and intensity, wasted on petty moments.

As I snuggled my growing boy and tapped D repeatedly to lick more quietly I knew that I didn’t want to give my best to those unworthy of it.

I want my best to go to God
To Rob
To Max
To My Family
And
To My Purpose

Everyone else can have a piece of me…but not the best.
The best is saved for the special ones, who make up my list.
Moving on this morning, I did what was unthinkable yesterday. I prayed for them. I prayed blessings and honor, riches and successes and I prayed that they would realize even with everything of the world, it means nothing without Christ.

And when I opened my Bible, I was gifted by God. In return for my earnest prayers, he gave me the gift of Proverbs 16. It spoke to me in fullness and renewed my spirit.

When you have one of those days where you give away “the best of you” open up the book and read it. I promise it will bring you revelation.

Always,

“It is better to be patient than powerful; it is better to have self control than to conquer a city. We may throw the dice, but the LORD determines how they fall” Proverbs 16:32-33
(Seriously though, go read the entire thing, it is amazing)
P.S. Second Interview was rescheduled due to an emergency staff meeting, check back next week for the results
92% Done with the Stinkin Deployment! Wahoo!

No comments: