Thursday, May 20, 2010

Scariest Moment as a Mom, ever

Well I have had my MOST terrifying moment as a mother now and I don't want to do it again. We were just starting to eat dinner that my stepmom had made (thank god I wasnt home alone). She is here all week with us and Rob is at training for a month.

So Max was not hungry and we had a long day so I was just letting him play. Well he was playing with a balloon and kinda sat/jumped on it and it went right out from under him and he fell backwards and smacked his head on the carpeted floor (with cheap builder quality pad under, our floor is super hard).
He screamed and my stepmom picked him up and he started arching backwards. You know when they do that giant hurt scream and no sound comes out? I thought he was doing that and he arched all the way back and then his body locked up and his eyes rolled back in his head. It looked like a seizure. She brought him to me and handed him to me and his body never unarched. I started frantically trying to wake him and it took a good minute. He started to stir and relax but his eyes were still rolling around and he was limp and pale. I told her to call 911 and she did. His eyes were open and he was sort of coming in and out and I was trying to keep him awake and eyes open. The firemen were there first and he laid him down and Max just laid there still and lethargic. The paramedics came in and we decided to ambulance him to Childrens. He was breathing fine and pulse and everything looked good. They put him on the back brace thing to stabilize him and we went in the ambulance with my stepmom/stella following behind. We were doing ok and then second scariest moment came when he was really trying to fall asleep and getting non responsive. So the paramedic did an iv/blood draw which woke him up screaming and they told me to call my stepmom bc they were turning on the lights and going to fly there to get him there asap. So she got left in the dust and we got there. Max was scared and hysterical after the stick but better than sleeping.
Once we got in they checked him all out and everything seemed ok but we did a ct scan just to be safe. He did awesome in that, I told him it was like Bot from Umizoomi and he had to get a belly screen (I know weird but he bought it) and didn't cry at all. Then the results came back and everything was fine. He just took a really hard hit and his body reacted. TERRIFYING.
I was silently crying and shaking when it happened but handled it ok and was rational until we walked outside and our neighbors were all outside and seeing him tied into a stretcher and I had to hold back sobs. We are just so so thankful that he is ok, God is SO good.
This morning he is acting just fine and totally normal. I on the other hand feel like death and had Stella and Max's pedi check me out because I have a sore throat. Sure enough I tested positive for strep. Ouch. Goodness gracious it has been a bit crazy and I haven't even gotten to post about Stella yet.
Keep us in your prayers!


Kathryn said...

Oh no! I am glad everything turned out ok! How scary!!

Jessica said...

OH MY! What a night you had...Poor Max. I am so glad your MIL was there. You are very strong...I would have been hysterical, the medics would have had to give me a tranquilizer. Let me know if you need anything.

Runningmama said...

Oh my word. That is insane!!! I didn't even know that could happen. I am so glad Max is OK. Way to go on the umizoomi line. That is Char's favorite show.

Christian Mommy Writer said...

That had to be terrifying! I'm so glad that everything turned out okay.

Click Here said...

Wow! What a night! That is really scary. So glad you got through it. You did a great job.